Circus, Fairs & Markets

 I have always been drawn to markets and fairs as a rich source of subjects for street photography. In 1977 I spent a day behind the scenes of the Lennon Brother's Circus in Burnley, Richmond. Recently I revisited the subject of circus performers, spending a day with the performers of Silver's Circus on the same site I photographed at, 35 years earlier. I was struck at how little life had changed for circus performers from living a semi- nomadic existence in caravans to the costumes that they wore. One change though was noticeable, and that was the non existence of  performing circus animals today.



Lennon Bros Circus 1977















Lygon Street Festa 1977



Royal Melbourne Show 1978























Caribbean Gardens Market 1978















Queen Victoria Mark 1978









Fawkner Park Market 1978







Comments